Creating Application icons
A quick start guide illustrating how to get going with Iconographer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to apply icons to folders or disks
There are several ways that a custom icon can be applied to a folder or disk.
- Choose "Apply selected icon to folder..." from the "Build Icons" menu in the bottom left hand corner of the window.
- Choose "Apply selected icon to folder..." from the "File" menu on the menubar.
- Choose "Copy" from the "Edit" menu, go to the "Finder" and select the folder/file/disk you want to apply the icon too. Then select "Get Info" from the "File" menu, click on the little icon in the top left hand corner of the new window and select "Paste" from the "Edit" menu.
- Drag the folder or disk onto the "Target" icon in the left hand column of the window, it will highlight in blue to show that it will apply the icon.
How to make one icon identical to another
- Make sure that you're currently seeing the icon that you wish to copy. Click once in the editor to ensure that it's got focus.
- Select "Copy" from the "Paste" menu on the menubar.
- Navigate to the icon and style that you wish to replace.
- Select "Paste Icon Style" from the "Edit" menu to replace the current icon with the one you copied.
How to reset a style to it's original settings
- Right click on the style icon that you'd like to reset, then select "Reset Style".
How to enable/disable dragging optimization
If you find that dragging is slow or you dislike the way how the preview changes as you drag, this option can easily be flipped.
- Click on the "Preview" icon in the bottom right hand corner of the editor.
- Select "Optimize dragging" from that menu to toggle it.
How to get control over the icon elements
There will be times when you want to export an icon with only specific elements, don't worry we got that covered.
- Click on the "Action" icon (right hand corner) within the target icon.
- A options window will appear, allowing you to select which sizes and other options.
- When done, either export that icon directly or click out of the popover window to close it.
How to update a graphic that's been edited
If you use as external editor, say Photoshop or Pixelmator to create artwork elements, when you update them Iconographer doesn't automatically update, below is how to update the graphic (with Undo capability).
- Select the image layer you wish to update.
- In the layer properties, there's a file selector.
- Click on the "Action" icon within the file selector for the menu.
- Select "Reload" and Iconographer will re-import the graphic.